Effective advocacy for rural communities and rural health begins with making connections. Join a conversation and connect with other students and residents, and with a panel of individuals working for the National Rural Health Association as advocates for the health of rural communities. This Grand Rounds will highlight several current issues in rural health, explore the unique challenges in advocating for rural communities, and familiarize participants with available resources – sources of information, tools for making important connections, and opportunities for acquiring and practicing advocacy skills.
After this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Articulate 3 unique challenges in advocating for rural health
- Describe the variation in rural policy issues across the United States
- Name 3 important sources of current information regarding important issues of rural health policy
- Identify at least one tool and/or opportunity for acquiring and practicing skills in advocating for rural communities
- Join others in promoting rural community health by becoming a student or resident member of NRHA
Pre-Session Review Content
Prior to the Grand Rounds event, participants will:
- Identify their home senators and congressperson: https://www.senate.gov/index.htm (“Find your senator” at the very top of the page) https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative
- Visit and explore NRHA Policy Issues landing page and documents: https://www.ruralhealthweb.org/advocate;
https://www.ruralhealthweb.org/advocate/policy-documents and perhaps give particular interest to the 2021 NRHA Advocacy Documents, including the NRHA 2021 Policy Agenda, Requests for the Biden Administration, and 2021 Rural Health Policy Institute requests.
- Identify a rural health issue that catches your interest, and come to the session prepared, when asked to enter it into the Chat, to name your chosen issue and why did you choose it?