Farm Safety for Children
Original Presentation Date: 1/28/2021
Facilitator Lesson Plan
Young workers in agriculture (under 25 years old) are at increased risk for occupational
injuries. In addition to traditional workplace hazards, fatigue, substance use, and
distracted behaviors are risk factors for injury. Clinicians, parents, and supervisors can
play an active role in protecting young workers. Attend this session to learn about
strategies and resources to protect this vulnerable population.
If you have questions about how to use or to adapt this teaching kit to your setting, contact us to schedule a phone call. We are happy to go over the details. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Participants will be able to:
Identify agricultural hazards in risk to youth in farming
Understand regulations in place to protect youth
Communicate essential information to parents or supervisors to protect young workers
Engage patients and explore their concerns around this topic
Diane Rohlman, PhD
Professor and Endowed Chair in Rural Health and Safety, University of Iowa
- Recruit your teams. Ideally, 4 teams of 3-5 participants.
- Schedule a room that can accommodate all your participants and AV to play the presentation.
- Distribute the Pre-Session link
- Download the Presentation Slide Deck.
- Review the Slide Deck. Be sure to look at the presenter notes.
- Arrange your participants into teams within the room.
- Facilitate your session by following the prompts in the presenter notes of the Slide Deck.
- Facilitate general discussion with the full group. Go over any lingering thoughts.
- Evaluate the materials on your experience.
You will be asked to provide your name, email, and organization prior to accessing the download.