Gestational Diabetes: Diagnoses and Management with a Rural Twist
Original Presentation Date: 4/26/2018
Facilitator Lesson Plan
The Gestational Diabetes teaching kit contains all you need to host your own team-based, active-learning event featuring work by Robert Gobbo, MD, the Medical Education Program Director at the Providence Hood River Family Medicine Rural Residency Program in Hood River, OR.
Gestational diabetes (GDM) is a common pregnancy-related complication that can have adverse outcomes. Rural clinicians require some advanced understanding and efficient systems for management, consultation, and possibly transfer of care. However, with improved knowledge, understanding and high-quality care, patients in rural communities can receive the vast majority of their care locally with excellent outcomes.
NOTE: We anticipate this teaching kit to be relevant until 2025, as the management of GDM is likely to continue to change.
If you have questions about how to use or to adapt this teaching kit to your setting, contact us to schedule a phone call. We are happy to go over the details. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Participants will be able to:
- Provide a brief overview of the diagnosis of GDM and its management, including controversies regarding the treatment of gestational diabetes
- Apply evidence-based and validated management guidelines to the care of patients in rural communities
- Refer and co-manage those patients for whom all care cannot be provided within the resources of their community
Robert Gobbo, MD
Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital, Hood River, Oregon
- Recruit your teams. Ideally, 4 teams of 3-5 participants.
- Schedule a room that can accommodate all your participants and AV to play the presentation.
- Distribute the Pre-Session link
- Download the Presentation Slide Deck.
- Review the Slide Deck. Be sure to look at the presenter notes.
- Arrange your participants into teams within the room.
- Facilitate your session by following the prompts in the presenter notes of the Slide Deck.
- Facilitate general discussion with the full group. Go over any lingering thoughts.
- Evaluate the materials on your experience.
You will be asked to provide your name, email, and organization prior to accessing the download.