Facilitator Lesson Plan
The Presenting Your Case: Telehealth in Rural Medicine teaching kit contains all you need to host your own team-based active-learning event featuring work by Van Roper, Phd., RN., FNP-C, associate professor and Project ECHO (Extension for Community Healthcare Outcomes) clinical director at the University of Mexico College of Nursing.
Presenting a case to a potential consultant in a succinct and well-thought out manner is an important skill for rural practice, whether by email, over the phone, or through a telehealth connection. This presentation will showcase the use of the ECHO model to provide meaningful experiential learning and patient care collaborative experience for both primary care providers and health professions students in an interprofessional environment. Integrated into curriculum both in the UNM CON and other health sciences institutions, this clinic prepares our health professionals to be leaders in practice transformation. Using the UNM community problem-based learning model, students and faculty present real patient care cases as a basis for discussion of patient care needs as well as learning issues.
NOTE: Having a family physician present for the in-session activity will enhance the learning experience for your group.
If you have questions about how to use or to adapt this teaching kit to your setting, contact us to schedule a phone call. We are happy to go over the details. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Participants will be able to:
- Prepare a succinct consultation request, whether by email, over the phone, or through a telehealth connection.
- Articulate at least three of the complex issues involved in telehealth practice.
- Join an ECHO event.
- Arrange your participants into teams within the room.
- Facilitate your session by following the prompts in the presenter notes of the Slide Deck.
- Facilitate general discussion with the full group. Go over any lingering thoughts.
- Evaluate the materials on your experience.